Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sweetpea's Getting Married!

When I was almost four years old, my mom and dad had another little girl. I was glad enough to have a sister, but I was really ticked off that they didn't name her "Susan." I still remember vividly how strongly I felt about it. They got me a doll named Susan but were firm in their choice of the name "Abby" for my baby sister. Hmph.

When I was six years old, another sibling was on the way. This was back in the days when people didn't usually find out the sex of the baby before it was born. All I knew was that this one had better be a girl, and my parents had better name her Susan.

Well.

It wasn't a girl. And his name most certainly wasn't Susan.

This is how I felt about that.


Contentment wasn't my strong suit back then.

But something happened when my parents brought baby Jordan home from the hospital. I fell in love with that baby. He was such a sunny, happy little guy with an instinctive sense of humor right from the start. I called him Sweetpea, and he was my little buddy.



Three more little sisters followed Jordan. The poor kid never had a chance, surrounded by five sisters as he was. It's a miracle he ever got into the bathroom. My mom always joked that one day he would make a fine husband because we girls would have him trained so well.

Now Sweetpea Jordan is all grown up. And we just got the happy news that he is engaged! He asked his lovely girlfriend Cara to marry him over the weekend, and she accepted.


To Cara: The sisters and I have done our best with Jordan. He's a pretty good guy. One thing, though. He's been known to go to the potty outside, but that's only when we wouldn't let him into the bathroom. Or when he was really sleepy. Or when he was hanging out with the next-door neighbor kid. Of course, he was three years old. I think he's outgrown it by now. I hope he's outgrown it by now.

To Jordan: Boy, don't screw up.

Really...Jordan and Cara, we wish you all the best. We couldn't be more delighted for you!

3 comments:

  1. Al, that picture of you scowling... hahaha Great memories coming back. And I remember that dress...didn't we get those from Lazarus? Such a nice tribute to Jordan. I can't believe that little blonde boy is getting married. I still picture him like that little two year old. So happy for Jordan and Cara(: Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post to your brother. And congrats on welcoming another "sister" to the family!

    And you were right to want to have a sister named "Susan"...it's a great name - I've always liked it!

    ReplyDelete