Saturday, October 2, 2010

Three Houses

Not much time for blogging lately. After eight straight days of fevers, respiratory infections, and croup the other week, our pirates and little petunia are all back at school and doing well.

I've had the privilege over the last couple weeks to visit the homes of three families very close to our hearts.

The first home was the scene of a celebration. After many, many months of waiting and an extended trip to a Peruvian orphanage, our friends welcomed home two adorable little boys. Mom, Dad, two older sisters, and a grandfather were there with faces glowing when my children and I arrived. The house was loud and happy. The boys don't speak English yet, but that did not stop them from trading silly bands and laughing and playing with my boys. In my halting nonexistent Spanish, I tried to welcome the boys and tell them how glad we all were that they were finally here. The little one skipped out to my car with me and poked his head into the dishes I had brought for dinner, parroting my English words with a big smile: Apples! Green Beans! I could've just scooped him up and nuzzled him. I know his new family must do that a lot.

The second home was also celebrating, in a quieter way, the birth of a new little sister. This is baby number four, but somehow there was still the hush that is always present when there's a new baby in the house. Big brother (Andrew's BFF Josh) was radiant with quiet excitement. The younger ones were climbing all over, pointing out the baby's features: Eyes! Nose! Baby! Mom and Dad were exhausted but joyful. No way to get the older kids to nap every time a new baby naps. I know. I've tried. How wonderful to share in the excitement and sweetness of a precious little newborn and to give thanks for her safe arrival.

The third home was very still. Our dear friend, a husband and father of two, suddenly received a very grave diagnosis a couple weeks ago. A few Sundays ago we were chatting with him in the halls at church. Today he lies in a hospice bed, suffering. Very soon this faithful man, loved by God and loved by us, will be home with God, who will wipe every tear from his eye. He will suffer no longer. In the meantime, a family is stunned and grieving even as they cling to this hope.

All these visits, one pretty much on top of the other. So much life...just happening. Trying to process all the joy and sorrow is overwhelming. More than ever this week, in these homes and in ours, in every situation, the Lord is near (Philippians 4:5).

If you are reading this, would you please pray for these families? God knows their names and their specific needs.

  • Benjamin & Christian and their new family
  • Baby Erin and her family
  • Kofi, his wife, and children
  • And in a fourth house in another state, too far for us to drop in for a visit, Steve's uncle has also received a very serious medical diagnosis. Please pray for Brian and his wife.

3 comments:

  1. thank you Alison. It means more than I can tell you. I will also be praying for your friends.
    Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Al. What a poignant post. All are in my prayers. My favorite line is "so much life...just happening." So true, so true. I am so very sorry for your dear friend, and to hear that Steve's uncle has a serious diagnosis. xo, mol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. I will be praying for your friends and thank you so much for including Brian!!

    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete