Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Silly

I would be remiss if I did not document a very important part of our lives during this season. Recently a fascination with certain little items has gripped the nation, and my children have joined in. They are featured in our discussions. They go with us to school. They attend church with us. They are a big part of neighborhood play time. They help us learn colors, counting and shapes. They bring children to sweeping heights of joy, and they cause blistering fights and bitter tears...all in the same afternoon.

Yes, I'm talking about silly bands.

They've been a part of our lives for the last couple months. I don't know where they came from, but they were an immediate sensation in our house. Silly bands are little rubber bracelets that are shaped like dinosaurs, zoo animals, food, musical instruments -- anything you can imagine. Cool neighbor Josh even has Bible-themed silly bands. If I were to dig up Batman or Star Wars silly bands, I would most definitely win Mother of the Year. Possibly Mother of the Century.


On any given afternoon, you can find all the neighborhood children gathered around the utility box in the neighbor's yard earnestly trading silly bands for all they're worth. There are some shrewd little bargainers out there at the Silly Band Tradin' Post. It's not a place for the weak or gullible. Younger customers are encouraged to be accompanied by a parent.

What cracks me up most is that Libby keeps stealing the boys' silly bands and wearing them. She is obsessed. She calls them her "Siy-yies" and shows them off to anyone who will look. She cries when she can't find any and surrenders them only at bedtime (and then with the greatest of reluctance).



I was further amused when the boys and I attended a picnic for the college students at our church on Sunday. The boys were wearing silly bands practically up to their elbows, and all the college students thought they were so cool -- college students wear them, too! Wow, these things unite everyone ages 23 months through 23 years! I was half-expecting Andrew to rig up a temporary trading station and open up for business then and there at the picnic. Good thing he didn't. I would've hated for him to have taken all those poor college students to the cleaners'.

4 comments:

  1. You are a better mommy than I, as I REFUSE, yes, REFUSE to buy them for the girls. Not saying they don't have them since some of their sweeter friends have shown pity on the two children they know that don't have any and have shared. And since they are banned at UA, and they can't wear them to ballet, where else would they wear them? I do so enjoy seeing Adam at school with many on his arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally gave it and bought some for their Easter Basket... The little boys anyways and the older 3 just beg for a few :) But, I have drawn the line... no more asking me for anymore. Two packs each were enough! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of them until yesterday when I saw them for the first time! I guess they really havent made it to Indiana yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, yes! They are absolutely the "in" thing in kindergarten! My rule for jewelery is that you can wear it as long as you WEAR it and don't play with it. Do you know how hard it is NOT to play with silly bands?! Funny that college students like them too! :-)

    PS...My mom has a pink Gerber cup with flowers on it at her house. Tonight, she gave it to Molly and Molly said, "hey, Mommy! This is just like Libby's cup!" So funny!

    ReplyDelete