Sunday, May 10, 2009

Too Many Possibilities

I had such good intentions this week. On Thursday, I thought I knew what I'd call my next blog entry: "Riddle of the Day." But I didn't get around to writing it.

On Friday, I thought my post would be titled, "Prayers of a 3-Year-Old." No time to write that one, either.

On Saturday, I knew I wouldn't get to write a post but planned that my Mother's Day morning post would be called "The Force Is With Me."

But then certain events of the actual morning led me to change my (still imaginary, so far) post to "It's Not a Holiday Until Someone Throws Up."

So, here, in short, is a recap of all the posts I meant to write, starting with Friday's:
For the first time, Adam asked to pray at dinner Friday night. Steve and I were, of course, thrilled that he showed any interest and encouraged him. We reminded him of the prayer we started Andrew out with: "God is great, God is good, and we thank Him for our food." But, this is Adam...he shot us a withering look and announced that he would do it himself. And here is how it went:

"God, thank you for the play outside and the fire keep us safe and the Boing Boing (the boys' inexplicable nickname for their baby sister) and we play outside keep us safe and the fruit snacks Amen." No mention of the food (and no, I did not happen to be serving fruit snacks for dinner that night), but playing outside with safety was apparently a highlight. We are not sure what mention of the fire was all about, but perhaps he is referring to the fire he almost started here:



Which takes me back to Thursday's imaginary post, "Riddle of the Day." As in, what do Adam and cats have in common? Multiple lives. See the outlet right outside Adam's door? See the (METAL) doorstop mysteriously unscrewed from the baseboard? See the tiny little extra open hole in the outlet that the carbon monoxide detector did not use/fully cover? Probably not. I didn't see it, either. NO ONE sees that. Anyone want to hazard a guess where I found said METAL doorstop when I came to release Adam from one of his (many) excursions to his room on Thursday, the Day of Much Disobedience? Yep, sticking out of the outlet. The ONE TINY open hole in the outlet.

Moving on. Ah, Adam. Adam, Adam. Rumor had it that I might be receiving a light saber (yes, of Star Wars fame) for Mother's Day. Rumor, plus Adam racing up to me at every opportunity on Saturday and joyfully whispering -- in the broadest sense of the word -- "Oh, Mommy, we got you flowers and a cake and a LIGHT SAVER!" I did not dare get my hopes up too high, but I have to tell you I was pretty excited that I might be as cool as my friend/neighbor Tonya, whose kids had already gotten her a light saber. Purple, I might add. Am I a dork for coveting my neighbor's purple light saber? And, what do you know? The rumor proved true. Here I am with my kids and my spanking new red light saber...at 7 am, sans makeup, in all my jammied glory.



But, as all you mommies know...It's Not a Holiday Until Someone Throws Up. Guess who it was this holiday? Here is Adam, who is really playing quite a prominent role in today's blog, is he not? delightedly carrying around his throw-up receptacle.


Happy Mother's Day to moms everywhere!

4 comments:

  1. So, when are we getting together for our "light saver" war? I'm sure only members of the dark side own RED light sabers. All I know is...you're going DOWN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day! What an awesome present...a red light saber! Let me know if it works in getting younglings to listen and behave...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It absolutely DOES when you threaten to take it away. It's a sad sad day when Joshua has to go fight battle droids in the cul-de-sac with no light saber, b/c it's been taken away for bad behavior :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new light saber! And what a sweet picture of you and your kids first thing in the morning! :-)

    Happy Mother's Day! :-)

    ReplyDelete