Friday, January 21, 2011

A Night at the Races

Time for another movie night! Andrew finished reading The Black Stallion last night, so this morning we decided to do an impromptu viewing of the movie tonight. Let me tell you, I was seriously sweating the theme dinner for this one. The only racetrack foods I know of are bourbon and cigars. And I am fresh out of those. Thank goodness for the creativity of my cousin Molly, who came to the rescue with the idea for the entire dinner while we were talking on the phone this morning.

Let me say up front: I know. Almost all of our theme dinners feature hot dogs wrapped in dough. It's just so versatile!

Tonight's masterpiece, thanks to Molly: saddlebacked horses, split-rail fence, and grass.


The kids (with trusty friend Josh, of course!) figuring out dinner. For some reason they got the grass and the horses right away. The fence took them a little while.


An irresistible homage to "A Christmas Story": Show Mommy how a horsie eats!


It's been years since I've seen "The Black Stallion." I had forgotten how fantastic it was! The kids (well, not so much Libby, who was overtired and acting like an overtired two-year-old) were enthralled. And the movie has lots of great themes...which we will discuss later because it is way past bedtime at the Nichols Corral.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving all these theme dinners! I may have to still some ideas... if I ever get enough energy to do so.

    ReplyDelete