Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Buckeye Brothers



I was so excited to find Ohio State Buckeye shirts on sale here in North Carolina! So I bought two and brought them home for the boys. I could hardly wait to show Andrew his new shirt. Unfortunately his reaction made clear that I -- born in the very heart of the heartland at the Ohio State University hospital, the child of an OSU graduate, and a lifelong Ohio State fan -- have failed in my duties as a Buckeye and a mother. As Andrew examined his new shirt, a confused expression crossed his face. "Mom? I thought we voted for the Colts." So I explained to him the difference between college football and the NFL and that we root for the Buckeyes on Saturdays. His response? "But, Mom, what about Carolina?"

I don't know how this happened. I have been singing "What's Round on the Ends and High in the Middle" and "I Wanna Go Back to Ohio State" to my kids from their babyhood, despite my reservations about encouraging children to "buy a keg of booze and drink to old Ohio till they wobble in their shoes." And Andrew has known the answer to "What's Round on the Ends and High in the Middle" and why since he was three. So it's not like this "Buckeye fan" thing came out of the blue.

Now, I am all about "When in Rome..." and learning to say "y'all" and drinking sweet tea, but this...this is clearly unacceptable.

Oh, and my children won't eat a potato (the Official All-Purpose Vegetable of the Midwest)...they just want rice.

Transplanted Midwestern Mommy FAIL.

2 comments:

  1. Try growing up as a Florida Gator fan, marry a Georgia Bulldog fan and living in UNC land... quite confusing for the kids. Todd, much like you, is relentless in his quest to make Bulldogs out of his 3 prodigies. He converted me and all three know "Go Dawgs, Sic 'em..Woof, Woof, Woof" Maybe one day they'll come around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So it's not like this "Buckeye fan" thing came out of the blue." Thankfully, it wasn't out of the maize blue or poppa would be having hysterics. I have been reticent to teach them "we don't give a d**n about the whole state of Michigan" but maybe I'd better start.

    Poppa

    Still signing as anonymous until I learn how to select a profile. I need a computer geek.

    ReplyDelete