Friday, July 31, 2009

Scenes from the Great Star Wars Sleepover Part II (Which Is Technically Part V)

Josh (upon giving Andrew a Star Wars action figure): Maybe it can be a centerpiece!


Josh: Thanks for dinner, Mrs. Nichols. My mom told me to tell you that.


Me: Are you guys ready for the movie?
Josh: I'll get the cookies!
Andrew: I'll get the pie!


Backstory: There is a gate at the bottom of our stairs to keep Libby from climbing them. Rather than remove and replace the gate 8 million times a day, I have encouraged the boys to "get off the stairs the secret way" (aka, climbing over the rail). This probably needs to be included in my notes to my younger self: "One day you will condone, nay, encourage your children climbing over your banister like a couple ill-bred monkeys." Josh, whose parents have apparently raised him better, was reluctant to exit our staircase in this unconventional manner.
Me: Josh, you can just climb over the rails like Andrew and Adam did.
Josh: I'm just a little worried.
Me: OK, I'll take the gate off. No problem. (But I could see he wanted to do what the other boys were doing.)
Later...I am sitting in the other room with a view of the stairs, where I can see Josh trying to go over the rail and hear him talking to himself...
Josh: OK, I'll just put my leg up here...and...I don't want to break a bone...I've never broken any bones...
The result...He did it! No broken bones even! Tonya and Donnie, I apologize for turning your son into a rail-climbing hooligan. Now you won't be able to take him anywhere. But he will fit right in around here.

Andrew (to Josh, with great seriousness, as I was taking their picture): We should have a picture taken at every Star Wars sleepover to help us remember.
Josh (with equal gravity): Only, we'll have to take two so we each have one.


Josh (at breakfast): Andrew, where's your mom?
Andrew: When Dad's home, Mom always sleeps a long, long time.
(WHAT? It wasn't even 8:30 am.)

Josh: Adam, you're my best buddy. Andrew, you're my best, best buddy.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I just had a coughing attack from laughing so hard. Yeah, Joshua's been talking about needing to find something that would be a good "centerpiece" for the sleepover. Maybe he needs a little more "Dad time" :)And never fear, by the time Caleb is involved in the sleepovers, he'll be sliding down the bannister head first! No, he'll be parachuting off the second floor with his pillow case. Thanks for hosting the sleepover! We're already looking forward to part III.

    ReplyDelete