Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cooking Group

Me, Jen, Stacy, Lisa, Jessica, and Tonya


This is my wonderful, sanity-saving cooking group. I can't believe it's been so long, but these dear friends and I have been meeting once a month for the past two years to put together freezer meals for our families. Think Dream Dinners at home -- half the price, twice the fun (wokka wokka). We choose recipes in advance, do a big shopping trip for ingredients, and assemble the recipes together in Jen's kitchen. In 2 or 3 hours, we create 10 to 12 meals to take home to last through the month. This has virtually eradicated the horror of The Witching Hours (4 to 6 pm) from my life. Making dinner has been the bane of my existence ever since...well, ever since I've been responsible for making dinner. No more wondering what to make. No more snapping at my children as they cling to my legs and whine, "What's for dinner?" and I stress over the same thing. No more getting halfway into a recipe and realizing (at 5:30) that I am missing a key ingredient and throwing waffles, cream of chicken soup, and fruit snacks down in front of the kids in desperation.

I marvel again and again that our group has worked so well together for so long! And that they've put up with me, the picky member. (Thank goodness for Tonya's husband, who is similarly picky...many a time I've been able to object to a recipe because "Donnie probably wouldn't like it" heh heh heh.) Who knew so many people actually wanted to eat things like broccoli and mushrooms? Ugh.

Cooking girls, you are a blessing!





4 comments:

  1. I wondered why, from time to time, I would get this sudden feeling of being thrown under a bus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired me to start a cooking group of like minded "slugs" (inside joke if you have ever seen my blog..) Anyhow, greetings from Oregon, I am looking forward to doing some freezing and pleasing! I will use the witching hours to go for walks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think that is the greatest idea ever! Can I come over for dinner? :-)

    ReplyDelete