Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We Have Arrived




Well, not quite. But this roll represents another step toward getting there...wherever "there" is. I once heard a comedian say her 30's were her "wiping decade": she spent them wiping noses, counters, and bottoms. And, friends, I am deep in the heart of my wiping decade. So today when Andrew came out of the bathroom and said, "We ran out of toilet paper, Mom, but I took care of it," I cringed inwardly, thinking of the disaster that surely awaited me, and started to go for my rubber gloves and Clorox. More to wipe. So I was surprised and delighted when Andrew continued, "I got another roll out of the cupboard and put it on the holder" and showed me the evidence. It's not that it's that tough a chore. Andrew is certainly capable of helping out in bigger ways...under my direction. It's just delightful that today a child in this house showed me he is old enough to identify a problem and take care of it without assistance.
Tomorrow we will address Andrew's one glaring error: putting the roll on upside down. He gets it from his father.

3 comments:

  1. At least he put a new roll on! I can't get the other adult in my house to do that...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good little helper Andrew is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled across your blog from a hit on "Salsarita's". I have to say, you are soooo funny! And it's all so true! I'm totally getting a kick from reading your blog! Thanks!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete